The United States and its allies were warned that more terrorist attacks are likely to happen in Kabul as the deadline to withdraw U.S. troops gets closer. On Thursday, a suicide bomber attacked the area near Kabul international airport where thousands of Western troops assisted in the evacuation efforts.
As a result of the attack, 13 U.S. troops and at least 95 Afghan people were killed.
The ISIS-K terrorist group claimed responsibility for the bombing
Previously, Biden mentioned that the ISIS-K terrorist group posed an increasing threat to the international airport. He also added that this is the reason why the U.S. will withdraw its troops from Afghanistan at the end of the month.
On Thursday, during his address at the White House, Biden noted that he repeatedly mentioned the evacuation mission is exceptionally dangerous. That is why he’s been eager to limit the duration of the evacuation effort. However, the president noted that they will not be stopped by the terrorists. Biden likewise added that the U.S. will not be intimidated and will continue the evacuation efforts.
President Biden mourned the U.S. service members and Afghans killed in the attacks at the Kabul airport on Thursday and addressed those responsible: “We will hunt you down and make you pay.” https://t.co/YXINpuW0qb pic.twitter.com/B8b7vvRhi3
— The New York Times (@nytimes) August 27, 2021
In his address, Biden gave a warning, stating that they will hunt down those who were responsible for the deadly bombing, adding that they will not forget or forgive them for what happened.
The president likewise mentioned that he already gave orders to the Pentagon to create an operational plan to strike the leadership, facilities, and assets of ISIS-K. He also indicated that the United States already has leads on the ISIS commanders who ordered the suicide bombing on Thursday.
Marine Corps General warned about the attacks which are very real and “imminent”
On the other hand, commander of the U.S. Central Command and Marine Corps Gen. Kenneth McKenzie warned on Thursday that ISIS will likely try to proceed with attacks before the August 31 deadline.
KABUL EXPLOSION | MULTIPLE WARNINGS
US Gen. Kenneth Frank McKenzie warns of more attacks in #Afghanistan & says that they will "go after" the perpetrators of the #KabulAirportAttacks if they can be found
He also added that they will continue the evacuation of Americans pic.twitter.com/yTTglNhwsi
— Mirror Now (@MirrorNow) August 27, 2021
The Marine Corps General told the press at the Pentagon that they believe ISIS desires to maintain these attacks and they expect them to continue. He also added that they are monitoring closely a highly active threat against the Kabul airport.
McKenzie, who is overseeing the operations of the U.S. military in the region, also mentioned that the threats from the terrorist groups against civilians and Western forces range from gunfires to suicide bombings to rockets.
He emphasized that the threats are very real and what they would call “tactical.” This means the threats are “imminent” and could happen at any moment. He also added that their focus right now is to ensure that no other attack happens.
At present, there are around 5,400 U.S. military personnel assisting in the evacuation efforts in the city capital of Kabul. The U.K. likewise deployed its military forces in Kabul, with the second-largest number of about 1,000 troops.